Our vision is to establish Wokingham as a great place to live for all its residents with high quality service delivery, sustainable and appropriate development, a vibrant arts programme and the cleanest and most sustainable environment possible. Residents will be at the heart of all our actions.
Our manifesto has 4 themes within which we identify our priorities.
Recover and Prosper
We have an ambitious plan for recovery for the local economy, for the arts and culture sector and for housing that meets local needs.
- We will do all we can to promote local economic recovery and invest in the local community.
- We will encourage developers to focus on affordable 1 to 3 bed homes, including bungalows and flats to meet local needs.
- We will build more social housing.
- We will continue to oppose the Conservative government's planning reforms, which would reduce local people's say and tilt the system even more in favour of developers
- We will further develop Wokingham Borough as a vibrant centre for arts and culture.
Cleaner and Greener
We will set targets to help protect the planet, the air our children breathe and our green spaces.
- We will plant at least 300,000 trees and improve hedgerows and biodiversity in the next 10 years.
- We will develop a comprehensive strategy to reduce harmful air pollution.
- We will develop a network of high-quality walking and safe cycling routes to link residential areas, local businesses, shops, schools and transport hubs.
- We will work hard to tackle climate change, putting it at the heart of all of our policies.
- We will protect our green spaces.
Caring for Everybody
We will set targets to help create a healthier borough where everybody is cared for.
- We will aim to reduce Children's & Adolescent Mental Health Service, (CAMHS) assessment waiting times from 2 years to a target of 6 weeks.
- We will offer training to help nursery, primary and secondary school staff support all children.
- We will improve children’s and adult social care for all by creating a more joined-up approach across care agencies, the NHS and voluntary sectors.
- We will support the development of community centres for the use of community groups, youth groups and charities across all age groups.
- We will celebrate volunteers and give them the space and support they need to succeed.
Responsible and Responsive
We will listen to residents and prioritise local needs.
- We will review the Council’s expenditure and remove inefficiencies.
- We will put a stop to risky speculative investments.
- We will put equality and respect for all people at the heart of everything we do.
- We will run the Council in a professional, responsible and transparent way to protect it for you and future generations.
- We will make it much easier for residents to communicate with the Council and to access Council information and services.
- We will look to redesign and update the Council’s website.
You can read about our local candidates here
Like what you read?
If you would like us to keep you informed on our manifesto and campaign, let us know by adding your details below.